Oldest Athletics Club in Singapore and one of the Oldest in Asia
CELEBRATING 69 YEARS IN SPORTING EXCELLENCE IN SINGAPORE (1947 – 2016)
Swift Athletes Association was founded in 1947. It is the oldest athletic club in Singapore and one of the oldest in Asia. It is run by a group of former athletes who volunteer their time in organizing events and coaching athletes. The Club has more than two thousand athletes. The club is 67 years old this year.
The club provides qualified coaches for athletes’ training needs and support the participation of their athletes in competitions that they are keen to participate. The club also organizes many Track and Field competitions.
In May 1949, the Swift Athletes, a Chinese club was formed. Its immediate objective was to promote athletics in the country. The club felt that coaching for athletes was a necessity and that unless better facilities could be given to the young people of Singapore, athletics would remain in the doldrums. With the improved coaching and the interest stimulated by this group of athletes, the club became very popular. The success and achievements obtained in the various athletics meets were rapid.
The Swift Athletes felt that in Sports there should be no distinction in race, class or creed and that communal sports should not be encouraged. As it was then, in June 1950, Mrs. Yeo Choon Bee, E.A.Sears, Goh Teck Phuan, Chin Lye Heng, Tay Boo Jiang, Choy Yew Mun, Lam Kah Poh, Ng Gim Seng and Ang Kian Guan formed the Swift Athletes Association with Mr Yeo Choon Bee as President and Mr Goh Teck Phuan as Honorary Secretary. This was the beginning of a new era in athletics in Malaya and Singapore by the Swift Athletes Association.
- To improve and maintain a high standard of efficiency in the field of sports.
- To foster the spirit of true sportsmanship, brotherhood and good fellowship between its members and the public.
- To encourage and bring together youths to appreciate the glory of sports.
- To improve the youths of today physically, morally and culturally through sports.
- To bring together the Champion Athletes of the past and present , to work and introduce the best methods of Athletic Training for its members.
- To look after the general welfare of its members.